Sunday, December 03, 2006

Confused

Twice in one week mum talks about the importance of 'establishing a career' first before anything else. She even used people 'Blah' and 'Blah' (workers from church) as examples of those who serve the church 'in their spare time'. What the? It's not like I haven't been on the lookout for jobs...just not as active as some people. Yes, I have been spending a fair bit of time on mission stuff because it's nearly a month away and we have so much to get through and yes, I would like to go to KYLC 07 because I probably won't have time (if at all) once I get into full time work. She's not against me going to both, but why does she have to add a 'caveat' to make it sound like she doesn't want me to and I should be spending more time looking for a job instead?

I'm confused.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I think they have this habit of wanting to see you have everything in place.

Oh well, hope the job search and the convention attending goes ok.

12/04/2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Sam Ngai said...

To be quite honest, there's many examples of people who are able to go on a full job search yet still pull off doing many things at church, finish their uni assignments and study, etc.

One thing with some parents is that they can tell the difference between someone who is looking for jobs on the side (ie. it's not a priority) and someone who is in a full search for work yet still manages to do everything else at once.

I have found that us guys in general are pretty lazy when it comes to these things. Noddy, Albert, myself, etc.

At the same time though, I know that it's possible to be on a very serious search for a job yet get everything else done. I don't want to name names though. And of course, being asian parents, our parents want us to be like them. It's not an entirely unreasonable thing either.

12/05/2006 1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh jeff i bring demoralising news for u..! :P

in my case once i got a FT job at a company i wanted to work in since Yr2 and have made progress in terms of projects i wanna be involved in, experiences i wanted to gain, establish good networking contacts and being reqards financially parents still can find a million other ways to say: "its not good enuf son!"

*woe*

12/05/2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol things i learnt at NTE?

Piorities:
1. Ministry
2. Roof over head
3. A job that supports you in your Ministry


hmmmmmmmm

12/11/2006 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home