Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Life Skill #234423 - How to change a car tyre

So after 4 years of driving, I got to change a car tyre for the very first time and it's actually not as hard as I thought it would be. The Castro site has a pretty good guide on how to do it and includes a flash demo too which is good because sometimes you need pictures to go with instructions.

So yeh, this morning I went to West Ryde to change the rear left tyre of our Corolla. My sister took the car to finalize the hiring of West Ryde Hall for her combine 21st party this weekend and noticed the tyre got punctured. When I got there I drove the car to a vistor parking spot of this unit cos it's a flat surface. Anyway, just before I changed the tyre, this old man approached me. He looked to be the unit's residential gardener and was frustrated because he tried to put this garden tool together but the screwdriver on his pocket knife wouldn't work. He asked whether I have a screwdriver on me and I actually grabbed a few on my way out of the house. So I helped him and he was so happy he gave me his pocket knife (After chucking it to the ground out of frustration - what a nut). Of course I'm gonna clean it with disinfectant before I use it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Such a great skill to have! I can put air in them, but have never had to change one yet. Good job!

Only a few more weeks left Jeff, then holidays!! Wonderful, wonderful holidays!

5/24/2006 8:28 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

We had a situation with Paddy Benn's car (ex CBS staffworker) after an end of year BBQ in 2003.

We changed what we thought was a flat tyre, and then looked at the new one we put on, it didn't look that much better.

I also had a tyre pretty much shred when driving after first moving to Hornsby, but you aren't are real man if you can't do this.

5/25/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Better clarify. You aren't a real man if you can't change a tyre. Or kill insects.

5/25/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Sam Ngai said...

It's a useful skill to have and unfortunately, most people decide to learn it when they have to instead of pre-emptively =)

5/26/2006 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home