Saturday, December 16, 2006

Let there be...less light...now

On March 31st, the lights of Sydney will go out for an hour (7:30pm-8:30pm) as part of the Earth Hour campaign.

Related articles:
-Sydney leading light in hour of no power
-A flick of the switch that will help save the planet
-Let there be...less light

The aim of the exercise is to educate Sydneysiders about using less electricity to address the issue of climate change. Households and businesses are encouraged to switch off their lights for an hour in the evening. Electricity providers will measure the power saved and the greenhouse gas emissions avoided. Public transport, street lighting and lighting that provides security will not be affected.

I think this is quite a good idea. I must admit I'm sometimes guilty of leaving my laptop on all night when I go to bed (yes, the whole MSN world needs to know Kogster is asleep :P) but surely we don't have to wait till March to do this. Why not start now...by getting rid of all the Christmas lights? Yes, they look pretty and really illuminate up the whole street but how much electricity do they use? You don't need pretty lights to celebrate the festive season. Such a waste of money (and electricity). And it's even worse at shops. A discount store in Top Ryde (Roni's) is currently selling all these Christmas lights and decorations. Obviously they have them switched on during trading hours which is ok I suppose but leaving them on after shutting up shop? It might look nice, lighting up the shopping centre but who's around to see it?

Anyway, that's my 2c rant. I will now switch off my laptop and go do something constructive :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Two questions...

1. Will Earth Hour make a difference?

2. What happens to all those city workers who work late that night?

12/17/2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Two questions...

1. Will Earth Hour make a difference?

2. What happens to all those city workers who work late that night?

12/17/2006 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh that'll be a cool activity.. interesting :)
I learnt from sam tho, that turning on and off the light uses more power than leaving it on until you sleep [eg if you are going to dinner you leave the light on in your bedroom cos turning it off would use more power..] - but i actually haven't looked into it.. do you think it's true?

12/21/2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Pete: I dunno, Earth hour *could* make a difference. it depends on whether ppl see it as a real wake up call or just a novelty exericise *Wow, Sydney blacks out*

vv: No idea. Haven't looked into it. I leave my lights on when I go to dinner.

12/23/2006 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home